Begin your talk with an incident example



A speaker who begins a talk with a story from his experience is on safe ground, for there is no grouping for words, no loss of ideas. The experience he is relating is his, a re-creation, as it were, of part of his life, the very fiber of his being. The result?
A self-assured, relaxed manner which will help a speaker establish himself on a friendly basis with an audience.
I think many of us use this technique to start their speech and I can see it all the time from TEDTALK. 
No stalling, No “warm-up” statements, By sharing directly into an incident, I think it can make speech easy to capture an audience’s attention and also helpful to memorize the speech. So, I really like this approach as it is so natural to reach an audience with an easy talk.
If I start my speech with using fancy words and technical terms that nobody can understands easily, it will be very difficult to get the audience’s attention and the audience will not remember much after my speech.
I still have a couple of my favorite TEDTALK that I listened to and I didn’t try hard to remember my favorite talk. I remembered because I really connected to that speech and it was natural. Also, they shared their own experience during their speech as this chapter suggests which gives me a good connection to remember.

Comments