Start your talk with a detail of your example


“One of the reasons for starting your talk with the Example step is to catch attention at once. As an example, “Last July I was driving at a fast clip down highway 42….”
It reminds me the word “Once upon a time”. These are sort of magic words that open a child’s imagination and I say these words all the time, when I read a book for my girls. I think this same human interest approach can captivate the minds of the listeners.
In this chapter, he mentioned one thing that I should remember, when I use this technique for my speech. It is “In the same way, too many details, unimportant details make conversation and public speaking a boring test of endurance. The secret is to select only those details that will serve to emphasize the point and reason of the talk.”.
So, If I talk too much about non related details, it will dissipate the attention and It will make audience get bored.
One more tip is that “To making your talk more easily remembered, the incident-example makes your talk more interesting, more convincing, and easier to understand. You experience of what life has taught you is freshly perceived by the audience; they are. In a sense, predetermined to respond to what you want them to do. “
It is good that I’m getting more ideas and techniques from this chapter and it is very helpful. In general, I didn’t really pay attention to these details and I was focused on the contents without knowing how logical it is. The good speaker actually thought many things ahead to prepare everything from the beginning to the end along with the audience reactions and response. It is like a movie director that they know exactly when people are going to react and how they react in the story of movie. It is like air that we breath in without knowing that it is there.

Comments