Sincere appreciation was one of the secrets of the first John D. Rockefeller's success in handling men




“I consider my ability to arouse enthusiasm among my people," said
Schwab, "the greatest asset I possess, and the way to develop the
best that is in a person is by appreciation and encouragement.
"There is nothing else that so kills the ambitions of a person as
criticisms from superiors. I never criticize any-one. I believe in giving
a person incentive to work. So I am anxious to praise but loath to
find fault. If I like anything, I am hearty in my approbation and lavish
in my praise. "
This is what Charles Schwab did and got pay a million dollars a year.
People do the exact opposite things and they don’t say anything when they like it and when they don’t like it, they criticize people.
In the past, my past company had a manufacture in Mexico and they were a part of the partner company and run by outsourcing management company. They assemble the parts for our company and do final pack out.  During the end of year , I visited there to join the company winter party as I was a part of operation group and I noticed that they were very happy in general. The reason being, it is not about extra bonus or anything related to materials. It was all about appreciation.  We sincerely showed them we do care as a part of our company, even thou they are technically not a part of the company.  
They were very happy with such a small thing and enjoyed working, because of appreciation. The team showed them that we are working together as one big family.
Another story from the chapter made me laugh. His wife was involved in a self-improvement program and asked her husband to help her by listing 6 things to help her become a better wife.
Frankly, he thought “ It would have been easy for me to list 6 things I would like to change about her and she could have listed a 1000 things she would like to change about me”.
But he didn’t and said to her “ Let me think about it and give you an answer in the morning”.
The next morning he got up very early and had 6 red roses for his wife with a note saying “ I can’t think of 6 things I would like to change about you. I love you the way you are”.
After all, He was so glad that he didn’t criticized her as she had requested. It makes me laugh, because it is such a sweet story and jealous of her that she had such a nice husband.
=)

Comments