Let the other person save face



“Letting one save face! How important, how vitally important that is! And how few of us ever stop to think of it! We ride roughshod over the feelings of others, getting our own way, finding fault, issuing threats, criticizing a child or an employee in front of others, without even considering the hurt to the other person’s pride. Whereas a few minutes’ thought, a considerate word or two, a genuine understanding of the other person’s attitude, would go so far toward alleviating the sting! “
It reminds me of one story from my previous experience. I visited CM to manage my program and one of CM’s director wasn’t so happy that the molder delayed the part delivery due to very low yield rate. It is not the supplier’s manager fault. They didn’t realize there was a high reject rate for that particular part and the supplier was working very hard to meet our demand.
Suddenly, the CM’s director started scolding the supplier’s manager in front of us who is the customer.  He didn’t even control his temper and slapped him saying that “ If I’m your manager, you were in big trouble “.
The supplier’s manager didn’t say anything or talk back to him, because the CM’s director guy was bigger and an elder person.
When it happened, we were just quiet and shocked to see that situation and that is the reason that I still remember this story.
Whether who is right or wrong, His attitude destroyed ego by causing someone to lose face in front of the customer. I can’t imagine myself in that situation, If I’m the one who is the supplier’s manager.
We usually have group meetings or conference calls very often. Even if one person is right and the other person is definitely wrong, we all need to work together as a team and respect others. Also, we need to remember this which is from Author Antoine de Saint. “ I have no right to say or do anything that diminishes a man in his own eyes. What matters is not what I think of him, but what he thinks of himself. Hurting a man in his dignity is a crime “.

Comments