Give a dog a good name


Let me start by sharing the quote from today’s chapter. “ The average person can be led readily if you have his or her respect and if you know that you respect that person for some kind of ability.” In other words, If you want to improve a person in a certain aspect, act as though that particular trait were already one of his or her outstanding characteristics.
So, If I give someone a fine reputation to live up to, and because of this small gesture, that person outperformed all the past efforts and it doesn’t take a long time to improve.
So, if you want to excel in that difficult leadership role of changing the attitude or behavior of others, use “ Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to “. We are so lacking of giving a fine reputation in general and miss the point that this technique can excel someone’s behavior for a long time. It will take a very short time or none, but the result can give a big transformation for a long time. I would like to share one story from my past experience. One day, my cross functional group’s engineer visited my manager saying that he needed more support from my manager. My manager was in the meeting with me in his office and he said, “ If you need anything, you can work with her directly and she can give you what you need “ .  I was very happy that my manager provided such a fine reputation to others in front of me and I thought “ I don’t want to let him down and I’m going to work hard to show that I’m the best team asset ever”.
Since then, it gave me extra power to exceed my limits and worked so hard to get it done to have a record that we completed the project in such a short development cycle”. If I think about it, it took only a very short time from my manager, but the result was tremendous in performance, because I always felt that my manager is fully supporting my back and had a faith in me. It really motivated me to excel at impossible things to make it possible and I still can remember it like something that I have seen yesterday. 

Comments