Ginger Tea BenefitsRevered around the world for its pungent taste, ginger (Zingiber officinale) is a natural spice that is also widely prized for its medicinal properties. Since ancient times, traditional healers in a diverse array of cultures have used this plant primarily to help settle upset stomachs.
Chinese herbalists have relied on ginger as a medicine and flavoring for more than 2,500 years. The early Greeks mixed it into breads (hence the first gingerbread), and North American colonists sipped nausea-quelling ginger beer, the precursor of modern ginger ale. Today, many cultures continue to rely on ginger for controlling nausea and also for reducing inflammation.
A botanical relative of marjoram and turmeric, the ginger plant is indigenous to southeast Asia and is now also extensively cultivated in Jamaica and other tropical areas. It's the plant's aromatic rhizome (or underground stem) that's used for culinary and medicinal purposes.
* Ginger tea relieves nausea
* Ginger tea combats motion sickness
* Ginger tea helps digestive processes
* Ginger tea combats inflammation
* Ginger tea reduces dizziness
* Ginger tea limits flatulence
* Ginger tea controls chronic pain
* Ginger tea eases the pain of muscle aches and rheumatoid arthritis
* Ginger tea minimizes symptoms of the common cold, allergies, and other respiratory conditions.